What better way to say “I love you” than a fancy cocktail soiree with Mum!
Mother’s Day is shaking up fast (Sunday 09 May), which means it’s the perfect time to share a cocktail or four with the woman of your life. And thanks to our friends at Dan Murphy’s, we’ve got a quaint collection of boozy delights for you to sift through.
Below you’ll find some eclectic concoctions that your mum, mother, ma or matriarch would surely enjoy – from the classics to the courageously cunning. And if you’re short of any of the ingredients, Dan Murphy’s delivers!
The Classic Daiquiri
Pinch those cheeks with this classic citrusy sensation, just like mum used to do when you looked so adorable… Now you can return the favour!
50mL Bacardi Carta Blanca Superior White Rum
25mL lime juice
10mL sugar syrup
Lime wheel to garnish
1. Add ingredients to an ice-filled cocktail shaker, shake well.
2. Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
3. Garnish with a lime wheel.
Thyme Is On Our Side
You’ve been part of mum’s life for so long, so be sure to make some time for her this Mother’s Day with this “thymely” cocktail!
50mL Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin
100mL premium tonic water
Lemon wheel to garnish
1. Chill goblet glass with ice.
2. Add Bombay Sapphire, lemon juice and a thyme sprig.
4. Add premium tonic water.
5. Garnish with lemon zest and a thyme sprig.
Mother's Ruin Martini
An ode to the vibrant medicinal staple called gin, this Mother’s Ruin twist on the classic martini is to die for.
The name’s Mum, Queen Mum!
1. Add gin, vermouth and white wine to an ice-filled mixing glass.
2. Stir well and then strain into a chilled martini glass.
3. Garnish with skewered olives.
Tequila Sunrises are for those with little imagination. Spice up your mum’s night with a Paloma instead. It’s rather bonita if you ask us…
1. Run lime on collins glass rim then dip rim in salt.
2. Fill glass with ice, add tequila and lime juice.
3. Top with grapefruit juice.
4. Garnish with a grapefruit slice.
P.S. I Love You
How else can you tell mum that you love her? Well, you can be a little specific with this quirky cocktail.
Love ya, mum!
1. Add all ingredients (except garnishes) to an ice-filled cocktail shaker and shake well.
2. Strain into a martini glass.
3. Garnish with maraschino cherry and grated nutmeg.
Be sure to keep your mum’s fruit intake up with this Mango Mojito. It’s so RUMbunctious!
60mL Bacardi Carta Blanca Superior White Rum
30mL lime juice
15mL sugar syrup
Soda water, to top
10 mint leaves
¼ cup of mango chunks
1. Add rum, sugar syrup, lime juice, mint leaves, and mango to a shaker, then ruffle.
2. Add ice and shake it up.
3. Strain into an ice-filled tall glass.
4. Top with soda water.
5. Garnish with mint leaves and mango chunks.
Salted Caramel Espresso Martini
Does your mother love coffee? Then treat her to a special rendition of the classic espresso martini, with salted caramel liqueur added in!
1. Add vodka, Galliano, Kahlua, salted caramel syrup, espresso and ice to a shaker. Shake well.
2. Strain into a martini glass.
3. Garnish with crumbled honeycomb.
Heading to the tropics this winter may not seem feasible at this present moment, but that doesn’t mean you can’t taste it. We all know mum needs a holiday!
1. Combine all ingredients (except the dried cranberries) in an ice-filled shaker and shake vigorously.
2. Strain into a chilled martini glass.
3. Garnish with dried cranberries.
The original French 75 is made with gin, but this baby substitutes it with whiskey. Of course, it’s always made with Champagne! SO fancy…
1. Add whisky, lemon juice and sugar syrup to an ice-filled shaker and shake.
2. Strain into a chilled champagne flute.
3. Top with Champagne and garnish with a lemon twist.
Blend two of the greatest treats into one exceptional concoction this Mother’s Day. Mummy will just love you for it!
1. Add honey, Frangelico, Baileys, Kahlua, cream, and ice to a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Rim glass with chocolate sauce.
3. Pour blended cocktail into glass.
4. Garnish with Toblerone.
If mum loves wine, why not try these 4 wine-infused cocktails instead? No Mother’s Day is complete without gifting your queen with a bunch of flowers – we’ve found 6 that will deliver straight to her door!
Editor’s Note: Our writers and contributors have independently selected and curated this article, and all opinions are their own. This article does contain affiliate links which allows us to make revenue off some purchases made by our readers.