Scoop into 2022 Easter celebrations with this easy, homemade, no-churn Hot Cross Bun Ice Cream recipe!
A good recipe always starts off with even better bakeware. And this Easter, we’ve sought out the help of iconic kitchenware brand, Wiltshire, to share with readers a delicious Easter inspired treat.
Functional, attractive and high-quality, Wiltshire has rounded up their team of experts to scoop together the tastiest dessert for Easter: a homemade condensed milk Hot Cross Bun Ice Cream recipe. With no churning needed, in four hours you’ll be spooning through something sweet, creamy and seasonal. Happy Easter!
Duration: 4.5 hours | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 6
2 hot cross buns, day old and roughly torn
60g unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
2 cups thickened cream
80g mini chocolate eggs, roughly chopped
3 large chocolate Easter eggs halved, to serve
Caramel sauce, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and place the hot cross bun pieces on a lined Wiltshire baking tray.
2. Brush the hot cross bun pieces generously with melted butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar. Bake for 8 minutes until starting to turn golden, then turn off the oven and leave in there for another 8 minutes to dry out. Set aside to cool completely.
3. Transfer the cooled hot cross buns to a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles large crumbs.
4. Then, in a large bowl, whip the thickened cream until firm peaks form, then stir in 3 tablespoons of the condensed milk and stir until just combined. Add the remaining condensed milk, vanilla bean paste, 3/4 of the hot cross bun crumbs and 3/4 of the mini eggs. Fold mixture until just combined.
5. Transfer the condensed milk hot cross bun mixture to a Wiltshire Loaf Pan and top with the remaining hot cross crumbs and mini chocolate eggs of choice.
6. Place the mixture in the freezer for 4 hours (or overnight) until the ice cream has set. When ready to enjoy, serve ice cream scoops in a large chocolate Easter egg half drizzled in caramel sauce.
Tip: No churn ice cream sets harder than a usual custard ice cream base. So, 15 minutes prior to scooping, remove the ice cream from the freezer.
If you’re needing another dessert, why not try Wiltshire’s Stuffed Easter Bunny Chocolate Cookies Recipe. Or tipple your tastebuds with these 9 Boozy Easter Cocktail Recipes for 2022.