Creamy, boozy and deliciously festive – we’ve got the best Eggnog Ice Cream recipe perfect for any ice cream makers!
Whipping together the perfect Christmas Day dessert can be stressful at the best of times. Let alone on a hot summers day here in Australia!
Thankfully, this year, we’re ditching the gingerbread and pushing aside the pudding for a modern take on a boozy treat. Easy to make, this creamy Christmas Eggnog Ice Cream recipe sees festive spices come to life with dashes of rum, cream and homemade custard. Scooped, coned or even bowled, all thanks to Australian Eggs your dessert will be one for the books.
Duration: 30 minutes + churning and chilling time | Difficulty: Easy| Servings: 1 litre
600mL thickened cream
1 cup (250mL) full cream milk
2 tbsp bourbon, rum, or brandy (optional)
1 cinnamon quill
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
6 large egg yolks
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
Chopped pecan, waffle cone shards and ground cinnamon to serve
1. Heat the cream, milk, bourbon and spices together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until mixture just comes to the boil, stirring occasionally. Set aside for 10 minutes to infuse the flavours. Remove and discard cinnamon quill.
2. Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl with electric beaters until pale in colour and thickened. Mixture should fall in thick ribbons when lifted with the beaters. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the warmed cream mixture.
3. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan containing the warmed cream and heat over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10-12 minutes or until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Ensure that it doesn’t boil.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a heatproof bowl. Cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight until very cold.
5. Then, churn cold custard in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers’ instructions. Spoon into a clean container and cover the surface with cling film. Freeze 3-4 hours or, for the best results, overnight.
6. Remove the ice cream from freezer 5-10 minutes before serving. Scoop with a heated spoon or ice cream scoop and serve topped with chopped pecans and ground cinnamon. Arrange cone shards into bowls and serve immediately.
TIP: To chill down warm custard quickly, place the bowl containing warm custard into a larger bowl filled with ice. Stir occasionally until mixture is cold. For the best results, only churn cold custard.
Looking for other delicious Australian Eggs creations for the festive season? Why not try this Christmas Meringue Tiramisu Cake Recipe. Or, tipple your tastebuds with these 10 Christmas-inspired Cocktail Recipes for the 2021 Festive Holiday Season.