Move over gingerbread! Turn your festive celebration into a delicious one thanks to this Meringue-amisu recipe!
It’s that time of the year again where our tables are adorned with delicious treats! So if you’re ready to wow your guests, head to the kitchen to whip-up this mouthwatering Meringue Tiramisu Cake!
Perfect for any festive event, thanks to Australian Eggs, your Christmas Day 2021 menu will be a delicious combination of hazelnut, meringue, coffee and Frangelico. A recipe thats a match for home entertaining; be sure to grab your whisk and get ready to create this mouthwatering Christmas Meringue Tiramisu Cake recipe!
Duration: 3 hours | Difficulty: Medium | Servings: 12-15
For the Hazelnut Meringue Stack:
6 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
1 ½ cups (330g) caster sugar
¼ cup (25g) Dutch cocoa powder
1 ½ cups (150g) hazelnut meal
Extra cocoa powder and grated dark chocolate, to decorate
For the Frangelico Coffee Ganache:
900mL thickened cream
3 tbsp instant coffee granules
300g dark chocolate, finely chopped
⅓ cup (80mL) Frangelico liqueur
For the Mascarpone Cream:
900mL thickened cream
½ cup (110g) caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 x 250mL tubs mascarpone cheese
To make the Hazelnut Meringue Stack:
1. Preheat the oven to 100°C fan-forced. Line three large baking trays with baking paper. Draw a 30cm x 20cm rectangle on each. Turn paper over.
2. Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-high speed until foamy. Continue beating, adding the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture holds stiff peaks. This should take 8-10 minutes. Continue beating for a further 1-2 minutes or until sugar has completely dissolved.
3. Sift in cocoa powder and add hazelnut meal. Fold in carefully until just mixed through. Divide evenly amongst prepared rectangles. Smooth tops.
4. Bake for 2 hours, or until crisp. Turn off oven. Cool meringues completely in oven, with door ajar.
To make the Frangelico Coffee Ganache:
1. Bring cream and coffee to the boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat.
2. Place chocolate in a large bowl and pour over hot cream. Stir until chocolate has melted. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 hours, or until cold.
3. Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, mix in liqueur and beat the ganache on medium speed until firm and a piping consistency. Spoon mixture into a large piping bag with a 1 ½ – 2cm star nozzle.
To make the Mascarpone Cream:
1. Beat the cream, sugar and vanilla to soft peaks. Gently beat in mascarpone until a dollop consistency.
To assemble the Meringue Tiramisu Cake:
1. Place one meringue onto a serving platter. Spoon over ⅓ of the mascarpone filling. Pipe with ½ of the ganache. Repeat these layers with remaining meringues, cream and ganache, finishing with a layer of meringue and mascarpone cream.
2. Dust with cocoa and decorate with grated chocolate. Refrigerate until serving.
TIP: This recipe is best made at least 3-4 hours before serving. Meringue will soften slightly, and ganache and mascarpone cream will set firmly. This will make it easier to cut.