Slice your way into this delicious yet guilt- and gluten-free treat!
In celebration of World Coconut Day (September 02) and World Vegan Day (November 01) that’s just around the corner, we’ve partnered with one of Australia’s most loved organic health food stores, Flannerys Organic & Wholefood Market to create a dairy- and gluten-free Blueberry and Coconut Slice that also doubles as vegan-friendly too!
Thanks to Flannerys and Sydney naturopath and nutritionist, Maddie Bingham, the Blueberry and Coconut Slice is both high in protein, manganese, Vitamin E, fibre, healthy fats and not to forget, iron. Low in sodium and carbohydrates, this delicious slice is the ultimate treat to pair with a cup of tea for morning or afternoon tea.
FOR THE BASE
1 and 1/4 cup OWN almond meal
1/2 cup OWN desiccated coconut
1/3 cup tapioca flour
3 tbsp Absolute Organic coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp Pure Harvest rice malt syrup
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
FOR THE JAM LAYER AND COCONUT TOPPING
3/4 cup Douglas Parks Organics Blueberry Jam
1/3 cup OWN desiccated coconut
For the base:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a 20-centimetre square pan with baking paper (make sure there’s enough baking paper on the edges to be able to pull the slice out later on).
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, coconut and tapioca flour.
- Then, add the coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla extract to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool completely.
For the jam layer and coconut topping:
- Once the biscuit layer has cooled, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Spread the blueberry jam onto the base evenly, followed by a light layer of the desiccated coconut on top.
- Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes or until the coconut is just toasted and slightly brown. Remove from the oven, set aside to cool and then refrigerate for around 30-minutes to an hour or until the slice is completely set before slicing.
Are you looking for more gluten-free treats to sink your teeth into? Why not try this Gluten-Free Turmeric Latte Slice recipe? Or for some picks to get you through from breakfast through to dinner, we’ve found the Top 10 Gluten-Free Delivered Meals that are perfect for those with coeliac disease.