Forget Taco Tuesday – with this recipe you’ll be taco-ing about it every day!
Frying up just in time for World Taco Day (Sunday 04 October), we’ve sought the help of Sydney’s favourite Cali-Mex restaurant in Neutral Bay – SoCal –, to make it the most memorable one yet.
In partnership with head chef Jason Wang, we’ve had a delicious opportunity to share Socal’s legendary Baja Fish Taco exclusively with Hunter and Bligh readers.
So, in true World Taco Day spirit, we’ve rounded up our ingredients for SoCal Neutral Bay’s Baja Fish Taco and paired it with one (or more) of these beer-infused cocktail recipes to celebrate the day in style!
Duration: 45 minutes | Difficulty: Medium | Servings: 5
400g x white fish (snapper, ling, flathead)
5 x 7-8cm soft corn or flour tortillas or flour tortillas
FOR THE BAJA DRESSING:
¼ white onion, peeled
½ a jalapeño, deseeded
½ bunch coriander
1 x lime, squeezed
50mL olive oil
Sea salt to taste
FOR THE SALSA:
¼ ripe pineapple, finely diced
½ red onion, finely diced
½ red chilli finely diced
¼ bunch coriander, finely chopped
1 x lime, squeezed
30mL olive oil
FOR THE LETTUCE SLAW:
¼ iceberg lettuce, finely sliced
Splash of olive oil
1. Firstly, to make the Baja Dressing, char the onion and jalapeño in a pan or on a BBQ plate until softened.
2. Once cooked, remove and place in a food processor with the coriander, squeeze of lime, olive oil and sea salt to taste. Blend until smooth, remove and store in the fridge until ready to use.
3. Using your fish, cut into strips at approximately 40g each or two pieces per taco. Marinate the fish in the Baja Dressing and place back in the fridge for later use.
4. To make the salsa, finely dice the pineapple, chilli and coriander. Mix ingredients in a bowl, season, add olive oil and the juice of the lime. Set aside.
5. Next, make the Lettuce Slaw by combining all ingredients into a bowl. Set aside.
6. To cook the fish, pan or grill fry in portions until it is just cooked. For this it is important to remember to allow the fish to continue cooking from residual heat after removing it from the pan – be careful to not overcook,
7. Finally, to finish the taco, lightly toast the tortilla’s in a dry non-stick pan on both sides. Place the Lettuce Slaw on the bottom of the tortilla with cooked fish strips on top. Dress with the Salsa and serve immediately.
Better yet, if you’d rather let SoCal Neutral Bay do all the hard work for you, to celebrate World Taco Day and the October long weekend, from 4pm this Sunday 04 October SoCal will have $3 tacos and $12 Tommy’s Margaritas available. Choose between the Baja Fish, the Smoked Brisket with cabbage slaw and mango aji amarilo; Pork with achiote sauce and dressed with a chilli and coriander salsa; or a Tofu Taco with rocket, beetroot and lime crema – all only $3 each. Taco’ bout a great way to spend the long weekend!
1 Young St, Neutral Bay NSW 2089
(02) 9904 5691
Looking for other delicious recipes from some of Sydney’s best restaurants? Why not try Efendy’s Hummus with Chorizo and Pomegranate? Or, for a quick snack, Rocker Bondi’s Tasty Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Toastie will certainly melt your heart.