For World Pizza Day and beyond; knead together an authentic Italian pizza dough at home!
Pizza – it’s one of our favourite staples. We love all of its curves, bumps and cheesy delights. A carb-loaded treat that we can never resist, now you can make your very own thanks to Cucina Porto.
Housed inside of The Star Sydney, Cucina Porto is our go-to for all things Italian – we’re talking authentic dishes, a thriving atmosphere, modern spins, delectable cocktails (our favourite is the Sgroppino) and their charming decor.
But, this World Pizza Day, Cucina Porto is coming to your home thanks to Executive Chef Martino Pulito who has kindly shared a Hunter and Bligh exclusive: Cucina Porto’s Authentic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe. If you’ve ever been amazed by Cucina’s craftsmanship in their sliced delights, prepare to be amazed as you knead your way to a heavenly bite!
Duration: 9 hours | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 2 pizzas
1.6kg plain pasta 00 flour
50mL extra virgin olive oil
1. In a large bowl sift the flour mix in the dry yeast. Then, in a separate container, dissolve the salt in room temperature water (it’s very important that the salt doesn’t get in contact with the yeast).
2. Using half of the flour, start mixing the four ingredients with your hands.
3. Add the sugar, the oil and add in the rest of the flour.
4. Coat your hands with the flour or “lavare le mani con la farina” and then place the dough on a clean bench and knead it for 15-20 minutes, gently folding it.
5. Cover the dough and let it rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.
6. Next, cut the dough into two 300g balls, put it on an oiled tray and let it rest for at least eight hours.
7. Once the dough is rested, place baking paper down on two trays and then drizzle with olive oil. Stretch the dough making sure that you cover all the edges of the tray and leave it to rise by double in a room with no air flow (placing it in an oven that’s not turned on).
8. Once the dough has risen (it usually takes two-four hours), preheat the oven to 250 degrees celsius. Add a tomato base, and cook for 15-20 minutes.
9. Then, add your favourite toppings and cheese and cook for a further five minutes or until golden and the cheese is melted. Drizzle with olive oil and enjoy!
Test your knowledge with our World Pizza Day Quiz. Or, get cooking with this Italian Buffalo Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Flowers Recipe.