This Italian-inspired recipe will have you falling in love after the very first bite.
Even if the flowers have been bought and the chocolates have been carefully selected, treating your special someone to a romantic dinner at home would certainly be the best way to make them fall head over heels for this caring, thoughtful and from-the-heart gesture.
To help Australians do so, Molo Restaurant’s Riccardo Bernabei has shared the secret to perfect any romantic date night in. And that is his Buffalo Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Flowers recipe.
Driven by Riccardo’s love of his Italian birthplace and his life-long passion for Italian food, this Buffalo Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Flowers recipe encapsulates exquisite ingredients and simplicity, which can be easily achieved by any love bird regardless of their expertise in the kitchen. And, of course, what better way to pair your newfound favourite dinner party starter than with a bottle (or two) of Freixenet’s Sparkling Rosé.
Duration: 30 minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 10
FOR THE FILLING:
1 kilo of quality Buffalo Ricotta
20x good quality, large female zucchini flowers
Zest of 3 lemons
250g red cow parmigiano reggiano
Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE BATTER:
Vegetable oil, for frying
3 cups plain flour
Ice-cold sparkling water
1. Combine all of the filling ingredients together in a bowl. If the mixture is too stiff, add a small amount of milk.
2. Next, spoon the mixture into a large nozzled piping bag then very gently pipe into each of the flowers, set aside.
3. Sieve the flour into a clean bowl and mix in the ice-cold sparkling water, add salt and pepper to taste. Once mixed, the batter mixture should be very thin.
4. Pre-heat the oil in the frying pan and when sizzling hot, fry flowers until crisp and golden. Once cooked, drain any oil, then put on a plate lined with paper towel.
5. Finally sprinkle on some fresh parmesan and serve immediately with a lemon wedge and a cool glass of Freixenet Sparkling Rosé.
Freixenet Sparkling Rosé
Renowned as one of the world’s leading sparkling wine producers, the diamond faceted glass Freixenet Sparkling Rosé bottles make for the perfect addition to any date night at home. Light, delicate and fresh, the Freixenet Sparkling Rosé features a fruit blend with notes of sweet berry. Best paired with light and summer-served canapés like Riccardo Bernabei’s Buffalo Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Flowers.
Looking to end your date night at home with an Italian-inspired dessert? Then why not try this luxuriously layered Banoffee Torta recipe? And if you’re puzzled in love triangles of what to get your special someone, Australia’s favourite artisan chocolate brand makes gifting easy.