Seasoned, spicy and sensationally irresistible – settle in for this truffle-covered fried chicken and waffles recipe.
Truffles, although they are usually shaved and served in the fanciest of settings; we’re now treating your tastebuds to a recipe that involves the best two food combinations of all time: fried chicken and waffles.
Now, thanks to TRUFF, the legends behind the iconic truffle-infused hot sauce, has provided us with a recipe that is easy to make but is finished with a stacked and overwhelmingly delicious flavour combination. Including delicious elements we’ve been yearning for, now you can get your hands dirty with this homemade southern brunch treat.
Finished with maple syrup this dish is tangy, juicy, crispy and fluffy all in one. So if you love fried chicken and waffles, then you’ll love TRUFF’s Spicy Truffle Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Waffles Recipe.
Duration: Marinating over night + 30 minutes to cook | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 4
For the Spicy Fried Chicken:
750g boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken tenders
2 cups buttermilk
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp TRUFF White
Oil, for frying
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of cracked black pepper
For the Waffles and TRUFF Syrup:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp TRUFF White
1. Cut the chicken breasts into strips (or use chicken tenders) and place in a large bowl. Add the buttermilk, salt, and TRUFF White to the bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Heat the oil (about 4-5 cups) in a large dutch oven or preheat a deep fryer. Meanwhile, place flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine.
3. Remove marinated chicken strips from the bowl and strain. Working in batches, dip chicken into the seasoned flour and toss to coat.
4. Once the oil reaches 180 degrees Celsius, carefully add chicken and fry until cooked through, golden brown, and crispy (roughly 3 minutes). Remove chicken from the oil and set aside to drain on a wire rack or paper towels. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
5. Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl, whisk to combine. Make a little well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the eggs, oil, and milk. Whisk to combine the batter and keep refrigerated until ready to make the waffles.
6. Place butter, maple syrup, and TRUFF White in a small saucepan. Slowly warm the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until the butter has melted and the sauce is warmed through.
7. Preheat a waffle iron and cook waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
8. Serve waffles topped with fried chicken and drizzled with buttery maple syrup sauce.
Looking for other truffle recipes to try? Switch up your day with this Truffle Hotcakes Recipe by Devon Cafe. Or, if you like to hunt, harvest and feast, here are the 10 Best Mushroom and Truffle Picking Tours around Australia.