It’s steamy and it’s dreamy – meet the best Zesty Shortbread Lemon Bars recipe you need in your cookbook.
Dessert or mid-afternoon snack, regardless of your reason this Zesty Shortbread Lemon Bars recipe will soon be a go-to.
Dreamy and sensational, the easy to make Zesty Shortbread Lemon Bars are brought to us by former MasterChef contestant Sara Oteri who has teamed up with Electrolux for an Australian series unveiling the secrets to cooking with a steam oven, Will It Steam?
Thanks to Sara’s partnership with Electrolux, she has designed this easy-to-follow dish using your next soon to be favourite appliance.
“Cooking when you have confidence is relaxing and almost meditative. We all have our go-to recipes that we’ve perfected, the tried-and-true dishes we reach for when we don’t want to think too much. So we wanted to show how steam makes our most loved meals, even easier and more delicious,” says Sara.
Made using ingredients found already in your pantry or fridge, Sara Oteri’s easy Zesty Shortbread Lemon Bars recipe is a must-make for your next dinner party at home.
Duration: 40 minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 12
FOR THE SHORTBREAD:
1 1⁄4 cup plain flour
1⁄2 cup butter (115g), room temp
1⁄4 cup caster sugar
FOR THE LEMON LAYER:
1 cup caster sugar
50g plain flour (just under 1⁄2 cup)
160ml lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 175C steam cooking.
2. In a stand mixer, place shortbread ingredients and mix with a paddle attachment until combined.
3. Line a 23 x 23 cm tray with baking paper and press the shortbread out to form an even bottom.
4. Prick holes with a fork and place in the freezer for 10 minutes
5. Remove shortbread from the freezer and bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
6. In the meantime, mix eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest together. Sift over the flour and mix until fully combined.
7. Remove base from the oven and allow to cool slightly before straining the mixture over the top, this ensures any lumps don’t find their way into the final curd.
8. Place tray in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
9. Remove and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares and finishing with a dusting of icing sugar.
Looking for other recipes to slice into? Try this dairy-free and vegan Classic Caramel Slice. Or, to tantalise your tastebuds, you can’t go wrong with this best-ever vegan and raw Raspberry and Cacao Slice recipe.