A classic dessert has now turned into a dairy-free and vegan alternative thanks to Nestlé!
Caramel slice. It’s the highlight of any dessert table at any occasion. Layered to perfection, the iconic and equally classic caramel slice is a mouthwatering concoction where biscuit, caramel and chocolate unite to create a heavenly treat.
Now, thanks to Nestlé, if you’re looking for a dairy-free solution, you can still enjoy this orgasmic dessert with the release of their new Nestlé Plant Based Condensed Milk Alternative.
Just as delicious as the original, the Nestlé Plant Based Condensed Milk Alternative ensures that those who opt for a vegan or dairy-free diet can still enjoy the simple pleasures when it comes to snack or dessert time. Just like this Dairy-Free and Vegan Classic Caramel Slice recipe!
Tip: use a 20-centimetre cake tin that is lined with an oversized sheet of baking paper. The baking paper is to be overlapping the sides.
Duration: 3 hours and 35 minutes | Difficulty: Medium | Servings: 16
FOR THE BASE:
1 cup (150g) plain flour
2/3 cup (50g) desiccated coconut
½ cup (80g) icing sugar
¼ tsp sea salt
125g vegan spread
FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING:
1 x 370g can Nestlé Plant Based Condensed Milk Alternative
3 tbsp cornflour
1/3 cup (75g) dark brown sugar
125 vegan spread
Pinch of sea salt
FOR THE TOP:
200g vegan milk or dark chocolate
1 tbsp vegetable oil (or any neutral oil)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, coconut, sugar and salt. Using your fingertips, rub the vegan spread into the flour until it forms a ball of dough.
2. Then press the dough into the base of the lined tin and push it out to make one even layer. Fork the dough all over then bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden on top. Set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, add the Nestlé Plant Based Condensed Milk Alternative and cornflour into a small non-stick saucepan. Whisk well to combine. Add the remaining caramel filling ingredients in and heat, stirring constantly until bubbling.
4. Continue to gently boil for 15 minutes (set a timer to ensure success, any less and the caramel may be too runny and any more, the caramel may be too firm), stirring regularly to prevent it from burning or sticking to the bottom. Cool for 10-15 minutes until further thickened.
5. Pour the caramel over the shortbread and spread to the sides. Cool and then set in the fridge for 2-3 hours or until firm to the touch.
6. Finally, melt the chocolate and mix in the oil until smooth. Spread over the top of the caramel. Chill until set. Using a knife briefly dipped into boiling water and then dried, cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
Looking for other dairy-free and vegan recipes? For breakfast you must try this Peanut Butter, Banana and Chia Pudding. Or, for the slice lovers out there, you can’t go wrong with this Vegan Raw Raspberry and Cacao Slice Recipe. Finally, to help you get kickstarted on your plant-based journey, we’ve got 4 Tips For Starting a Healthy Vegan Diet.