The much-loved Madame Brussels Lane European Night Markets are back… and we aren’t mad.
Ecstatic would be more like it. After the record 20,000 visitors in 2019, the markets are back and bigger than ever, with a 30% increase in size, including the much-loved 1853 Oddfellows Hotel for four weeks only to peddle custom-designed Hot Toddies and Mulled Wine. Running every Friday in July from 5pm-10pm, the event is one you cannot miss.
European hotspots that will be featured in the market include:
- Italy: Nutella-stuffed doughnuts from Café Babbo, crisp pastries from Eat Cannoli, sweet and savoury panzerotti from Il Panzerotto Taste of Puglia and delicious riffs on the classics from Tiramisu Lift Me Up (including Nutella and caramel (gluten free), Classic Vegan, Oreo and Nutella, and Caramel and Amaretto)
- France: Sweet favourites from Pop Up Crepe, The Brulee Cart, and Degani, while Frencheese will sling bowls of oozing, melted raclette
- Germany & Austria: Sausages smothered in cheese, sauerkraut and caramelised onion from Bavarian Bangers, and pillowy, hand-rolled bretzels from Bretzel Biz.
- Poland: Cult classic dumplings from Pierogi Pierogi (think vegetarian creamy potato and cheese; slow cooked organic beef, chicken and vegetable; and vegan mushroom and sauerkraut)
- Spain: Giant dishes of Spanish rice from Elena’s Paella
- Turkey: Dips and gözleme from Göz City
- Switzerland: First time addition Swiss Made will debut delicious malakoffs (fried cheese), smoked meats and sauerkraut
- Greece: Hella Good will bring coeliac-friendly souvlakis and gyros, and assorted Greek sweets
The laneway will come alive with retro disco beats from performer Fleiss, while Tanya George is set to impress with a unique looping set. Discounted cuts from the Men’s Barber Shop will be available along with scarves and beanies from Melbourne retailer Spoilt. This, alongside the custom cocktail, A Lon Winter’s Night, that is being prepared for the markets in the CBD’s only distillery, Little Lon Distilling Co, is what sets this market apart and guarantees it will be worth the hype.