Bring the magic back into your kitchen with this delightful Chocolate Mousse.
Internationally renowned Australian Chef, Peter Gilmore, and his equally charming son Joe are aiming to teach Australians that a night at home in the kitchen can still be one to fondly remember. You might know Gilmore as the creator of the famous Snow Egg and White Coral, but now he is encouraging people to reignite their passion for cooking and learn more about their loved ones in the kitchen.
After spending most of his life cooking for others, and often in quite stressful environments, Peter says there is a special joy in taking time to cook together. “The spontaneous chat you have when you’re cooking and focusing on something, and the banter you can have that’s back and forth is so lovely and natural.”
Thankfully, we were lucky enough to sit down with Australian Eggs and Peter Gilmore to create this decadent Chocolate Mousse – the ultimate winter warmer dessert.
Tip: Make sure to grab a partner to help you out with some of the fierce whisking and we’ll guarantee you’ll both have a blast with this sweet sensation.
Cooking time: 30 minutes + 4 hours setting | Difficulty: Medium | Servings: 4
325g dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
500mL cream, whipped to soft peaks
4 Australian Eggs egg yolks
3 Australian Eggs egg whites
50g superfine caster sugar
½ vanilla bean split and scraped
1. Finely chop the chocolate and melt it over a double boiler to keep warm.
2. Whip the cream until soft peaks form (a large whisk is preferred).
3. Make a sabayon by adding the vanilla bean to the sugar and then combining with the egg yolks.
4. Place the sabayon onto another double boiler and whisk continuously until the egg yolks become thick and glossy, then remove from heat. For this ensure the whipped cream is ready nearby.
5. Pour all of the melted chocolate into the warm sabayon and beat with a large hand whisk vigorously until incorporated. The chocolate will begin to seize; at that point you will need to add 1 large tablespoon of whipped cream. Continue to whisk quickly and add whipped cream as you observe the mixture softening into a more workable state. Keep going until half the whipped cream remains.
6. Immediately whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Place the whisked egg whites and the remaining cream on top of the chocolate mixture and gently fold through until well incorporated.
7. Place the chocolate mousse in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours before serving. Once the mousse has set, serve with fresh raspberries.
Want to cook alongside Peter Gilmore?
Well, now you can! To encourage all Australians to come together in the kitchen and make it a meal to remember, together with Australian Eggs, Peter is inviting a handful of lucky home cooks and their cooking partners into his home kitchen by giving them the opportunity to win access to an exclusive Zoom masterclass. Along with their chosen partner, the winners will have a chance to cook-a-long with Peter and his son to prepare and share a meal with their family, friends, housemates or neighbours.
If selected, Australian Eggs will either send you an ingredients pack or an E-voucher depending on where you’re from. Either way, they’ve got you covered! To enter, visit Australian Eggs and register your details. The competition closes at 11:59pm on Thursday 18 June 2020.
Looking for the next best winter warmer? Why not try this easy to make Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder? Plus, you can also pair your evening with our selection of the best Australian red wines for this winter? Night sorted.