Australia, get ready to tuck into this easy roast pork winter warmer.
Celebrating Christmas in July? Hosting an at-home dinner party? Or maybe you just want to test out a new winter warmer for your next Sunday roast? You’ve come to the right place.
Thanks to Otway Pork, using the right ingredients to create a truly delicious feast is a seamless process. Australian owned and operated, Otway Pork is proud to be one of Australia’s largest outdoor pork producers, offering an array of fresh cuts including bacon, traditional leg hams, sausages, fillets, shoulder, cutlets and scotch roasts. When it comes to pork, no one does it better than Otway Pork.
Free from added growth hormones, Otway Pork own and manage its unique paddock to plate system ensuring that every step of the process – even through to the retail – is conducted by its group of leading agricultural experts.
Partnering with Australian cook and author, Justine Schofield, Otway Pork’s Roast Pork with Glazed Pear, Apple and Fig recipe transforms the ultimate winter warmer Sunday roast into a bewitching blend using some of the season’s favourite fruit produce. So whether you’re looking to host your next dinner party with friends or you want to switch up your Sunday roast with something more spectacular, Otway Pork’s Roast Pork with Glazed Pear, Apple and Fig will have you and your guests coming back for seconds.
Cooking Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 4
1kg Otway Pork Boneless Leg Roast with rind
3 medium brown onions
Fresh sage leaves
2 red Delicious apples – cut in half lengthwise
2 brown cooking pears – cut in half lengthwise
2 fresh figs – cut in half lengthwise
4 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground salt and pepper
1 1⁄2 tbsps of honey
1 tbsp of caster sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C. First, cut the onions crossways into thick slices and place in the base of a roasting pan.
2. Next, place your Otway pork, rind side up, on top of the onion slices. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Massage the oil into the skin of the pork and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the sage leaves around and over the meat. Place in the oven and cook for two hours.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, place the halved apples and pears (cut side down, leaving skin and stems on). Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with castor sugar. Place this in the oven 45 minutes before the pork will be ready.
4. Once 20 minutes has passed cooking, turn the fruit over and drizzle with the honey to caramelise. Then, add the halved figs 15 minutes before the end of cooking, cut side up.
5. Finally, remove pork and fruit from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving ensuring that the fruit is kept warm. Serve thick slices of the pork, top with crackling and fruit pieces. Accompany your Roast Pork with Glazed Pear, Apple and Fig with a crisp green salad or try Bekka’s iconic Fried Cauliflower recipe.
Want to explore some more of Otway Pork and Justine Schofield’s delicious creations? Try this easy Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder recipe. Or, if you’re looking for a delicious red wine to pair to your next dinner party, we’ve found 10 Australian red wines that are perfect for winter!