Just say oui – here’s a new dessert recipe worth adding to your collection!
Ahead of National Dessert Day (Thursday 14 October), we’ve teamed up with the leaders in French cooking techniques, Le Cordon Bleu, to share with Australians a dessert recipe that must be tested and tasted.
Le Cordon Bleu’s Vanilla and Zesty Lime Panna Cotta recipe uses just 10 ingredients. A refreshing dessert that can be made ahead of time; this dish proves to be the perfect balance of sweet meets sour. Stirred, strained, and served with a homemade lime syrup – put your dessert-making skills to the test with Le Cordon Bleu’s Vanilla and Zesty Lime Panna Cotta recipe.
Duration: 30 minutes + 4 hours to set | Difficulty: Medium | Servings: 6
For the Vanilla Panna Cotta:
300mL rich cream
90g caster sugar
100g white couverture chocolate
8g leaf gelatine
1 vanilla bean
For the Lime Syrup:
1 cinnamon stick
Strawberries, washed and roughly chopped
Meringue bulbs, dried
Sweet pastry or streusel, crushed
Micro herbs or edible flowers
To Make the Vanilla Panna Cotta:
1. Soak the gelatine leaves in a bowl of water for 5-10 minutes or until soft. In a separate bowl, using a sharpe knife, split the vanilla bean in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds.
2. In a saucepan, boil the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla seeds over a medium heat. Taking the saucepan off the heat, carefully stir in the white chocolate. Then add the soaked gelatine, leaving out any excess water and stir until dissolved and combined.
3. Strain the mixture into a bowl using a sieve and leave to cool slightly. Then, once cooled, pour into 6 lightly greased dariole moulds or ramekins and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
To Make the Lime Syrup:
1. In a bowl, zest and juice the limes ensuring that seeds are removed. Boil the sugar, water, zest and cinnamon in a saucepan on a medium heat and reduce until a syrup consistency. Add the lime juice to taste.
2. To serve, gently remove each panna cotta from the moulds upside down onto a serving dish or plate. Around the base of each panna cotta, carefully place an arrangement of fresh strawberries, raspberries and meringue bulbs. Use a piping bag to decorate with raspberry curd and a star nozzle to pipe the chantilly cream. Crumble some sweet pastry or streusel around the dessert and finish with some micro herbs or edible flowers.
Needing some more zesty recipes to add to the collection? Then you’ll love these Easy Shortbread Lemon Bars. Or, if you’re looking for something more advanced, why not try this Winter Mānuka Honey and Ginger Cake with Macadamia Sorbet.