Spring Bulgur, Pistachio, Feta and Beetroot Salad: Recipe
Spring is the season of salads – so let’s get tossing!
When it comes to seasonal salads, spring is our favourite time to be feasting. It’s the time where cold meets hot, produce is vibrant and fresh and, as for the taste, it’s just as bewitching as the flowers in bloom.
Spring is also the time for entertaining – whether that be at home, at a picnic or at a family or friends abode. This year, the salad of the season goes to the Bulgur, Pistachio, Feta and Beetroot Salad. Delicious to serve for any occasion, it can be cooked up to three days in advance, stored and then tossed together with the final ingredients to complete the dish on the day.
But, you may be wondering, what is Bulgur? Duru’s Bulgur is a must-have for any pantry. Think of it as an undiscovered superfood. It’s high in fibre, protein and Vitamin B. On top of that, it is low in calories, has a low GI count and, interestingly, it has nearly half the calories that quinoa has per cup!
With energy-boosting benefits, this middle eastern grain is a natural immune booster that serves as the best nutrient-dense alternative. Perfect to be added into family-favourite comfort foods or to be mixed into new creations, our go-to is this Bulgur, Pistachio, Feta and Beetroot Salad – just don’t forget the wine!
Duration: 1.5 hours | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 4
3 medium beetroots
¼ cup red wine vinegar + 2 tbsp
2 tbsp caster sugar
½ tsp salt
1 cup course Duru Yellow Bulgur
1/3 cup olive oil
3 large handfuls mixed herbs (mint, flat leaf parsley, dill)
2 spring onion, finely sliced
1/3 cup toasted pistachio, crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp sumac
1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
½ cup marinated feta, drained
1. Place the beetroots into a deep pot and add the ¼ cup vinegar, sugar, salt and cover with water.
2. Bring to the boil, turn down and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. When soft (when a small knife is inserted through), drain and while hot, peel the beetroots and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. Meanwhile, place the Duru Bulgur into a small pot, add 2 cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, stir, cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes before removing from the heat and leave covered for another 10 minutes to steam before stirring through 1 tbsp of olive oil. Allow to cool to room temperature.
4. Once the bulgur is cool, roughly chop the herbs and stir them through along with the shallots, the pistachios, lemon, 1 tsp of sumac, 3 tbsp of olive oil and seasoning to taste.
5. Cut the beetroots into random wedges and toss with the 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar, sumac, and pomegranate molasses.
6. Serve the bulgur salad topped with the beetroots and scatter with the feta to serve.
Looking for other spring-inspired salad recipes to try? Our favourite is this Crunchy Shredded Cabbage Salad with Peanut Butter Dressing. Some say you don’t make friends with salad, but you do with wine! Check out the Top 10 Australian Made Wines for Spring 2021.