The World Has A New Number One Restaurant
Victoria’s Attica and Brae make the World’s Top 50
In a huge night for the Australian food scene, two Victorian restaurants have made the prestigious World’s 50 Best Restaurants list.
For the fifth year running, Melbourne’s Attica has been named Australasia’s best restaurant on the list.
Attica, in Ripponlea, was named number 32 in the world at the ceremony held at the Royal Exhibition Building last night in Carlton, marking only the second time the Oscars of food have been hosted outside of London.
Up one spot from last year, Attica made its debut on the list in 2013 when it ranked 21. Led by chef-owner Ben Shewry, the menu at Attica draws heavily on native ingredients, many of which are grown at the nearby Ripponlea Estate.
The win should come as especially joyous for the chef as it is the second year he has also been the owner of the restaurant.
Making its debut on the list, Dan Hunter’s four-year-old regional restaurant, Brae in Birregurra, was named number 44. Since hitting the World’s 50 Best Restaurants’ longer 51-100 list two years ago, diners have been waiting for the ascension.
It’s the first time two Victorian restaurants have made the prestigious list, and with the awards taking place in Melbourne, both Hunter and Shewry welcomes in the celebrations on home turf.
New York’s Eleven Madison Park took the top spot, and second place went to last years number one, Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana in Italy, while El Cellar de can Roca in Girona, Spain, was named number three.
The Ashley Palmer-Watts led original Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in London, ranked 36, up nine places from last year, while Heston Blumenthal was given the Lifetime Achievement award.
The chefs’ choice award winner was Virgilio Martinez from Central in Lima, Peru, which was South America’s Best Restaurant ranked 5.
THE WORLD’S 50 BEST RESTAURANTS
50. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium RE-ENTRY
49. Tegui, Buenos Aires, Argentina NEW ENTRY
48. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin, Germany
47. Vendôme, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
46. L’Astrance, Paris, France RE-ENTRY
45. Den, Tokyo, Japan NEW ENTRY
44. Brae, Birregurra, Australia NEW ENTRY
43. Reale, Castel Di Sangro, Italy NEW ENTRY
42. Boragó, Santiago, Chile
41. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, Shanghai, China
40. Cosme, New York, USA NEW ENTRY
39. Relae, Copenhagen, Denmark
38. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu, Spain
37. Saison, San Francisco, USA
36. Dinner By Heston Blumenthal, London, UK
35. Septime, Paris, France
34. De Librije, Zwolle, Netherlands
33. Astrid y Gastón, Lima, Peru
32 Attica, Melbourne, Australia
31. Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris, France NEW ENTRY
30. Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain
29. Le Calandre, Rubano, Italy
28. Nahm, Bangkok, Thailand
27. The Ledbury, London, UK
26. The Clove Club, London, UK
25. Tickets, Barcelona, Spain
24. Amber, Hong Kong, China
23. White Rabbit, Moscow, Russia
22. Quintonil, Mexico City, Mexico
21. Alinea, Chicago, USA
20. Pujol, Mexico City, Mexico
19. Geranium, Copenhagen, Denmark
18. Narisawa, Tokyo, Japan
17. Le Bernardin, New York, USA
16. D.O.M., São Paulo, Brazil
15. Piazza Duomo, Alba, Italy
14. Restaurant André, Singapore
13. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris, France RE-ENTRY
12. Arpège, Paris, France
11. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, New York, USA
10. Steirereck, Vienna, Austria
9. Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain
8. Maido, Lima, Peru
7. Gaggan, Bangkok, Thailand
6. Asador Etxebarri, Axpe, Spain
5. Central, Lima, Peru
4. Mirazur, Menton, France
3. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
2. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
1. Eleven Madison Park, New York, USA