The Ultimate BBQ Sides: Recipes
Forget a shrimp on the barbie, we’ve got two recipes that’ll be the life of the party.
Just in time for peak BBQ season, we’ve partnered with author of Ribs and Sides, Adam Roberts, to share two recipes that’ll be the perfect accompaniment to your next gathering. So whether you’ve got a bunch of mates coming over last minute or you need to bring something along that’ll impress the crowd, look no further than the Chilli Beef Bowl and Creamy Bacon & Egg Sweet Potato Salad recipes.
Chilli Beef Bowl
210g red kidney beans
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
1 tbsp kosher salt
4 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tbsp mild American mustard
1 tsp agave sugar
125mL beef stock
2 tbsp hot sauce
1 small habanero chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp Mexican chilli powder
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g corn chips
100g light sour cream
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
500g cooked pulled beef short rib meat
1/2 cup chopped coriander
1. In a large pot, mix all of the ingredients except for the corn chips, sour cream, mozzarella cheese, pulled beef short rib meat and coriander.
2. Bring the mix to the boil and simmer for 15-minutes or until the tomatoes and beans are soft. Stir occasionally to combine and to prevent the bottom of the mixture from overheating.
3. Add the beef to the chilli mixture and simmer for a further 15-minutes. Remove from the heat to cool slightly before pouring into a large bowl.
4. Serve with a dollop of light sour cream and mozzarella cheese. Garnish with chopped coriander. Scoop the chilli beef mixture out of the bowl with the corn chips.
Creamy Bacon & Egg Sweet Potato Salad
2 large or 700g sweet potatoes
6 large eggs
6 rashers streaky bacon
1 bunch coriander
60mL whole egg mayonnaise
20mL sriracha hot sauce
1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
20mL canola oil
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil and hard boil the eggs. Allow the eggs to cool in a bowl of cold water in the fridge for 30-minutes. Once eggs are chilled, peel and cut into quarters then set aside.
2. Dice the streaky bacon into small strips and fry until dark and crispy, set aside.
3. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes and dice into 2.5cm squared pieces. Add diced potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and par-boil until potato is just softened on the outside but still slightly firm in the middle.
4. Once the sweet potato is softened, remove from the boiling water and chill the potato in the fridge until cold.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked sweet potato, bacon, whole egg mayonnaise, sriracha hot sauce, salt and pepper and mix gently until all combined.
6. Add roughly chopped coriander to taste and eggs and fold into mix, turning the eggs in gently at the end of the process.
Ribs and Sides
Wanting to cook up a storm for your next BBQ? Check out Adam Roberts’ Ribs and Sides that’s filled with the tastiest low and slow barbeque meal finds.
Available to purchase from New Holland Publishers for $29.99.
Feature image: Chilli Beef Bowl, Ribs and Sides by Adam Roberts. Image supplied